[INDOLOGY] Unicode font for ancient and modern Tamil

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 20:25:24 UTC 2023

Dear Satyanad Kichenassamy,

Indeed, it would be welcome if you could show us examples of what you mean,
as it is not clear to me if you refer to three different things, namely,

- long ra with a vinculum
- short ra with a macron.
- line covering a puḷḷi.

It is also not clear to me what is the difference between "vinculum" and
"macron".

Besides examples of what I call "disambiguating macron" with ciṉṉa ra (to
make clear it is not medial ā),

e.g.
[image: image.png] BnF Indien 220, f94r

and (even though in that case does not seem necessary to disambiguate, at
least for someone knowledgeable in Tamil)
[image: image.png] BnF Indien 220, f93r

it was used with other consonants

e.g.
[image: image.png] BnF Indien 216, f1r

[image: image.png] BnF Indien 220, f93r

[image: image.png] BnF Indien 220, f93r

but so far, I do not remember having met it with periya ṟa.

Christina Muru also sent me examples where the "disambiguating macron" is
used above "e" and "o" to mark them as long "ē" and "ō":

[image: image.png]

With very best wishes

*Emmanuel FRANCIS-GONZE*

Chargé de recherche CNRS

Centre d’études sud-asiatiques et himalayennes

2 Cours des Humanités

93322 AUBERVILLIERS

bureau A222

✆ 01 88 12 01 82