[INDOLOGY] Alf Hiltebeitel 1942-2023

James Hegarty hegartyjm at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 14 15:41:04 UTC 2023

I am so sorry to read this and my thoughts go to his family and close friends.
I will always remember getting an unsolicited and very encouraging email from him shortly after my MA thesis was published (in 2001, I think); my wife was working on my computer and came running down the stairs saying, ‘Alf Hitebeitel has emailed you! Alf Hiltebeitel has emailed you!’ Such was his profile in our household that my wife, not an Indologist, was as excited as I was. It is a mark of the sort of scholar he was that he was reaching out to Mahā-minnows like me and encouraging and supporting them. I will miss his low-key presentation style and the range, depth and innovative character of his scholarship, as I am sure we all will.

James Hegarty