[INDOLOGY] RAW transcription for a Tamil text (Re: Devanagari v and b in manuscripts from Kashmir

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Tue Mar 14 12:55:13 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Many of these points must also be considered when providing a
preliminary transcription for a Tamil text, written in the traditional
method used in MSS, with a very ambiguous spelling.

This is why, for a number of years, I have decided that I shall always
make use of a RAW VERBATIM transcription system, when first transcribing
a MS.

To give just one example, when this last message came,
I was in the process of transcribing the beginning of the first line in
leaf 26 of an old MS of the சேனாவரையம் [cēṉāvaraiyam], which is a
medieval commentary on the second book of தொல்காப்பியம் [tolkāppiyam]

I attach a fragment of the image (TC_19c_5.png), for the reference.

The XML fragment which I just now wrote is at the bottom of my
contribution to this message.

The transliterated text, inside <incipit_transliterated>..., with a
detailed analysis, was prepared by me many years ago.

The (raw) VERBATIM text, inside <incipit_verbatim>..., illustrates a set
of conventions which I have developped over the years, in order to AVOID
PREMATURELY RESOLVING the ambiguities inherent in the Tamil script used
in MS, where for instance

(A) No puḷḷi is used

(B) -e and -ē are not distinguished, and are therefore transcribed by me
as @ (my notation for the கொம்பு [kompu]), which is also part of the
notation for -o (undistinguished from -ō)
   COMPARE @ ச ய ய ப ப ட ட [ceyya+-paṭṭa]
   WITH @ ப # ரு @ ள [poruḷ -ē]

(C) The same glyph, which I transcribe here as "#",
- can note long -ā
   (See வ லி த # யி ற @ ற னி ன [valit-āyiṟṟ-eṉiṉ])
- can note "ra" (modern ர) ((no example in this sample))
- is part of the notation for -o (undistinguished from -ō)
   (See @ ச ய ற @@ க ப X @ ப # ரு @ ள [ceyaṟkai+-poruḷ -ē])

(D) The standalone symbol for -ai is noted as "@@" by me, except when
writing லை ளை னை and ணை
  (See நி ல த @@ த [nilattai]  and @ ச ய ற @@ க [ceyaṟkai]

<leaf>
         <nbr>26</nbr>
         <line_count>11</line_count>
         <marginal_words>@ ச ய // XX க க</marginal_words>
         <marginal_number>௰ ௩</marginal_number>
         <incipit_verbatim>து கு ற று ச @ ச ய ய ப ப ட ட நி ல த @@ த வ லி
த # யி ற @ ற னி ன து @ ச ய ற @@ க ப X @ ப # ரு @ ள ய # ம</incipit_verbatim>
         <incipit_modernized/>
         <incipit_transliterated>{kal= -um iṭṭikai -~um pey || tu kuṟṟu+
ceyya+-paṭṭa nilattai valitu āyiṟṟu} eṉiṉ, atu ceyaṟkai+-poruḷ -ē
~ām.</incipit_transliterated>
         <incipit_location>TC19c_5</incipit_location>
         <REMARK></REMARK>
         <page_1934>22</page_1934>
         <line_in_parag>2</line_in_parag>
         <date>2023/03/14</date>