[INDOLOGY] Revision of ISO 15919 (transliteration of Indic scripts)

Martin Joachim Kümmel martin-joachim.kuemmel at uni-jena.de
Mon Jun 12 08:50:28 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I agree with Andrew especially on point 3. For the same kind of reasoning, I’d rather like to replace the undercircle by a vertical understroke (e.g., r̩) since that is the sign used in IPA for marking syllabicity while the undercircle is used to mark voicelessness. In publications with cross-linguistic scope, undercircles might be disturbing to people not so familiar with Indologist and Indo-Europeanist traditions (and I think I once even saw such a misinterpretation). I have changed my own notation in this respect wherever there is no official philological standard, i.e. in reconstructions of IE and Indo-Iranian etc., but not for Sanskrit and transliteration of Indic scripts, as long as the undercircle remains there.

All the best,
Martin