[INDOLOGY] Revision of ISO 15919 (transliteration of Indic scripts)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Jun 7 00:13:27 UTC 2023

Thanks, Harry, but while writing my संस्कृतसुबोधिनी, which goes back to
mid-1980s, I did not consult "ISO 15919 standard" or any such documents. I
was following, what seemed to me at the time, to be the prevalent practice.
If my memory serves me correctly, to use r̥,  r̥̄, l̥, with small circles
under r and l, I was influenced by Wackernagel's Altindische Grammatik. I
had used the same in designing my diacritics font Manjushree-CSX. While the
ancient fonts used for the संस्कृतसुबोधिनी going back to mid-1980s and the
pre-Unicode Manjushree-CSX are no longer usable, I am generally continuing
to use these diacritics today. Probably just by acquired habit.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]