[INDOLOGY] Purūravas’s buddhi in MBh II 69.15

Valters Negribs valters.negribs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 09:39:55 UTC 2023

Dear Dominik,

It seems to me that Purūravas is mentioned here simply as a person who is
famous for his buddhi. As was just pointed out, he is elsewhere associated
with rājadharma. The story about his affair with Urvaśī does not seem to be
relevant here.

The meaning of buddhi in this passage is unclear, but I suspect that it
means something like stoic wisdom, namely, a wisdom that allows Yudhiṣṭhira
avoid suffering in exile and thereby retain capacity for action when the
exile ends and it is time to retake the kingdom.

This interpretation is in harmony with the earlier mention of samādhi,
which here seems to mean something like "composure" and with another
previous statement in Vidura's speech: 02,069.007c nādharmeṇa jitaḥ kaś cid
vyathate vai parājayāt (Van Buitenen: "No one who has been defeated against
the Law should suffer from his defeat.")

There are a number of Mahābhārata passages where buddhi is a means of
overcoming suffering. This is discussed in chapters 4 and 5 of my
unpublished thesis "Ascetic Teachings for Householder Kings in the
Mahābhārata", which I would be happy to share off-list. For now, here is
one relevant reference that mentions buddhi and the same verb as Vidura
(i.e., vyathate):

12,105.012a purastād eva te buddhir iyaṃ kāryā vijānataḥ
12,105.012c anityaṃ sarvam evedam ahaṃ ca mama cāsti yat
12,105.013a yat kiṃ cin manyase 'stīti sarvaṃ nāstīti viddhi tat
12,105.013c evaṃ na vyathate prājñaḥ kṛcchrām apy āpadaṃ gataḥ

Van Buitenen's translation of buddhi as "resolve" is probably inspired by
the vyavasāyātmikā buddhiḥ of Bhagavadgītā 2.41. While buddhi does appear
to be related to resolve in this passage, I understand that it is
Yudhiṣṭhira's understanding of dharma that is the basis of his composure
and resolve.

These two papers on buddhi may also be useful:
"Saving Buddhis" in Epic "Mokṣadharma" by James L. Fitzgerald ;
International Journal of Hindu Studies Vol. 19, No. 1/2, Special Issue:
Studies in Honor of Edwin Gerow (APRIL–AUGUST 2015), pp. 97-137

The Buddhi in Early Epic "Adhyātma" Discourse (the Dialog of Manu and
"Bṛhaspati") by James L. Fitzgerald ; Journal of Indian Philosophy Vol. 45,
No. 4, Special Issue on Locating Philosophy in the Mahābhārata (September
2017), pp. 767-816

Best wishes,
Valters