[INDOLOGY] Revision of ISO 15919 (transliteration of Indic scripts)

Jan Kučera jan.kucera at matfyz.cz
Fri Jun 2 01:38:30 UTC 2023

Dear all,

last week ISO/TC 46 decided to revise ISO 15919:2001, currently called “Information and documentation — Transliteration of Devanagari and related Indic scripts into Latin characters”. This standard currently specifies the transliteration rules for Devanagari, Bengali, Gurmukhi, Gujarati, Oriya, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, and Sinhala. Like with any recent revision of a transliteration standard, one of the tasks of the revision is to formalize the rules using Unicode codepoints.

I imagine many users or potential users of the standard are in this group and I would like to invite everyone to share their feedback on this standard and learn how it could be updated to better serve the community. I am aware for example casing and case sensitivity has been brought up in the past in this group. Other possible improvements include covering more Indic scripts and/or standardization of transcribing historical texts, manuscripts, epigraphy etc.

Feel free to respond to me offline or online with your concerns and suggestions or if you would be interested in participating in a working group regarding this revision.

Thank you and best regards,
Jan Kučera
Institute of Asian Studies
Charles University, Prague