[INDOLOGY] The Title of Sanskrit Dramas

victor davella vbd203 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 11 09:07:27 UTC 2023

Dear all,

I read quite some time ago an article by Stephan Levitt on the titles of
Sanskrit dramas (here
<http://www.asiainstitutetorino.it/indologica/volumes/vol31/08_Levitt.pdf>).
In nuce Abhijñānaśākuntalam (or -śakuntalā) has been misunderstood and
should mean something like "The Story of Śakuntalā by means of a Ring". The
vṛddhi derivative by P. 4.3.87 and the compound by P. 2.1.30. He also
accounts for the variants in the title by reference to other rules from the
Aṣṭādhyāyī. I was wondering whether this explanation has been widely
accepted or if someone has responded to it. Thanks.

All the Best,
Victor