[INDOLOGY] Best wishes for a Peaceful Christmas and New Year...

Bihani Sarkar bihanisarkar at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 1 10:23:00 UTC 2023

Dear Professor Houben,
There is a reference to this in the text of the *Kumārasambhava*, as read
and commented on by Aruṇagirinātha and Nārāyaṇapaṇḍita, in the section on
Pārvatī's tapas. In Sarga 5, Pārvatī's asceticism to win Śiva is described,
and its transformative, purifying power is said to have affected the
surrounding environment, causing even animals usually at war to become
gentle towards each other:

*virodhisattvojjhitapūrvamatsaraṃ*

*drumair abhīṣṭaprasavārcitātithi |*

*navoṭajābhyantarasambhṛtānalaṃ*

*tapovanaṃ tatra babhūva pāvanam ||* 5.17

'There [on Mount Gaurīśikhara], her [very] ascetic grove, in which, inside
a newly built leaf hut, she had built the sacred fire, became purifying:
even beasts there mutually at war were free of their ancient hostility (
*virodhisattvojjhitapūrvamatsaraṃ*), and its trees worshipped guests with
choice buds.'

As the two commentators note, these--i.e. peaceful animals, and trees being
hospitable to guests (just like the ascetic)--are the special, magical
characteristics of the hermitage groves of great ascetics. Nārāyaṇa
provides the following citation to a source I am not yet able to identify,
thus:

*'tapovanocitāni viśeṣaṇāny āha-- virodhisattvojjhitapūrvamatsaram ityādinā
| 'spṛśati kalabhaḥ saiṃhīṃ daṃṣṭrāṃ mṛṇāladhiyā muhur' iti
āditapovanavṛttānto' tra draṣṭavyaḥ |*

[Kālidāsa] describes the qualities appropriate to hermitage groves with the
compound 'even beasts there mutually at war were free of their ancient
hostility'. "A baby elephant keeps touching a lion's fang thinking it to be
a lotus stem"-- such a description of a hermitage grove is apparent in this
case.'

I am not sure which *tapovanavṛttānta* the quote about the baby elephant
placing his trunk inside the lion's mouth with utmost ease is from. But
evidently in such tales of hermitage groves, which the commentator was
aware of, there is an idea that the dharma of such places is non-violence
and generosity between man and beast, not to be witnessed in the real
world. And that this dharma is a transposition of the ascetic's own quality
onto the surrounding environment.

It would be interesting to read the *Raghuvaṃśa* verses you mention below
in a parenthesis in relation to this.

Thank you

Bihani Sarkar MA (English, First Class Hons.), MPhil DPhil (Sanskrit),
(Oxon.)

Lecturer in Comparative Non-Western Thought,

Department of Politics, Philosophy and Religion,

Lancaster University.