[INDOLOGY] Loan library of Archive.org

Elliot Stern emstern1948 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:36:41 UTC 2023

Dear Harry,

You may find the video on this page answers how to contribute or sponsor an in-copyright book for loan: https://help.archive.org/help/borrowing-from-the-lending-library/

My. Understanding is that archive.org <http://archive.org/> must obtain a copy of the book by purchasing it or through donation. It can then offer its digital copy for loan. Restrictions under copyright law prevent them from accepting a scanned copy that you or I might make. They ran into some legal trouble when they relaxed the borrowing rules early in the Covid-19 pandemic. See, for example: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/03/868861704/publishers-sue-internet-archive-for-mass-copyright-infringement

Elliot