[INDOLOGY] Unicode: Pabuchi and Ranjana

Jan Kučera jan.kucera at matfyz.cz
Thu Apr 27 14:14:22 UTC 2023

Unicode does require a font from authors that can be used during production of code charts, however it does not need to have conjuncts or other dynamic functionality. Encoding is really what you need for interchange, then you can have a font created. I wouldn't wait for system vendors to include a built-in font for all the scripts, that might not happen at all. There is also Google Fonts project trying to cover all encoded scripts with open-source fonts. With newly encoded scripts you rarely need updates to the rendering engine other than giving it new Unicode data, again thanks to Andrew who developed the Universal Shaping Engine.

As for the Unicode process, it really depends on the individual proposal. Sometimes more evidence is needed which might be difficult to source, sometimes we cannot get in touch with the community, sometimes there is a disagreement within the community, sometimes someone says hold on, we will submit a response/feedback and then they never come back, sometimes governments get involved. There are also cases though where the encoding is relatively straightforward and fast, especially when the proposal is well prepared. The demand or urgency from community or scholars can also help move things forward.

Matthew,

Thank you for the photos of a manuscript, I will pass your feedback to the group and author.

Thanks,
Jan