[INDOLOGY] the word 'sesame' and the use of sesame oil

Lubomír Ondračka ondracka at ff.cuni.cz
Wed Apr 26 14:23:57 UTC 2023

It is a little more complicated. The word comes from the (reconstructed)
Hamito-Semitic form *cim- meaning "grass, plant".

In most Semitic languages its reduplicated form (*cim-cim) means sesame.
So we have Arabic simsim or Hebrew shumshum (שומשום).

In Coptic, Ahmaric, Chadic and other non-Semitic languages, it remains
unreduplicated.

L.