[INDOLOGY] Sūrya-siddhānta critical edition?

Jean Michel DELIRE jeanmicheldelire at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 12:15:36 UTC 2023

Dear David,

Thank you for sending me the two pdf about the Lalitavistara. I have
checked Hokazono Koichi's edition, which corresponds to Woepcke's
interpretation in Journal Asiatique, March-April 1863, p.262, and differs
from Foucaux's. Actually, Woepcke allegedly asked Foucaux to check in "the
Tibetan version", and Foucaux acknowledged Woepcke's interpretation, but
apparently didn't incorporate it in his translation. Woepcke's 'correction'
of the wrong number given by the LV, which should correspond to 710
.12.2.4.1000.4, is rather convincing : he argues that some interpolations
have been made in order to increase that number (and the prestige of the
Buddha), and shows how to reduce it by deleting three factors 7, some zeros
and interverting two figures. Compared to Hokazono Koichi's edition, one
notes that Woepcke also proposes to change a 22 into a 24. Hokazono
Koichi's edition has 32, but points to 22 as a variant. So, I think we can
accept Woepcke's interpretation.
The other problem, i.e. how to reconcile a multiplication by ten (sand of
one Ganga to ten Ganga) with a scale of five or six successive (supposed)
powers of ten enumerated as units in the LV, and just after that to
reconcile a multiplication by 100 millions (sand of ten Ganga to a hundred
kotis of Ganga) with a scale of only two powers of ten is not yet solved,
because the different editions have the same units and disposition. But it
is probably, as in Woepcke's interpretation above, the result of other
interpolations.

Thank you again, and best regards,

Jean Michel