[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Internet archives

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Mon Apr 10 06:58:22 UTC 2023

Dear Indologists,

The Atlantic articles shared by Richard Mahoney is behind a pay wall, but I would be grateful if someone could share the text (speaking of sharing digital copies haha).

More is available here:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/26/1166101459/internet-archive-lawsuit-books-library-publishers

As the NPR article states, the judge in this case specifies that the ruling **does not** apply to works that are in the public domain. Please, someone correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems as though we mostly share public domain IA works here on Indology (though, certainly “most” is an arbitrary concept and I admit I’ve done any quantitative analysis). Am I incorrect in this assumption?

In my own research, the only work I’ve ever used on IA that is under copyright and requires that I use the “check out” function described in the court case is the Pedurma edition of the Tibetan Kangyur/Tengyur.

But again, I understand that just because I rarely use a certain IA feature does not mean other Indologists don’t use it. So to that point, how often are you all “checking out” copyrighted works on IA?

Sincerely,

Westin Harris
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.