[INDOLOGY] Sūrya-siddhānta critical edition?

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 19:51:50 UTC 2023

I was wondering if there is a critical edition of the *Sūrya-siddhānta*. I
could not find one. However, there is something very close to one, although
it is not called a critical edition. It is Kripa Shankar Shukla's edition, *The
Sūrya-siddhānta with the Commentary of Paramesvara*. Lucknow University:
Department of Mathematics and Astronomy, 1957. For the text of the
*Sūrya-siddhānta*, he gives full variant readings from manuscripts of the
text as commented on by Mallikārjuna Sūri (1178 CE), Yallaya (1472 CE), and
Rāmakṛṣṇa Ārādhya (1472 CE), besides from the printed edition of
Raṅganātha's commentary edited by Jīvānanda Vidyāsāgara. He says that he
also consulted the commentaries by Bhūdhara (1572 CE) and Tamma Yajvā (1599
CE) for deciding between certain readings. Of course, the text is based on
the commentary by Parameśvara (1432 CE), which predates the commonly used
commentary by Raṅganātha (1603 CE) by nearly two centuries. When he has
chosen a reading different from Parameśvara's, he cites Parameśvara's
reading as mū. pustake, for mūla-pustake.

I did not find a digital copy of Shukla's edition online, but I have
scanned the photocopy I made of it. Happy to send it to anyone who wants
it. Perhaps someone who knows how can upload it to the web.

Best regards,

David Reigle

Colorado, U.S.A.