[INDOLOGY] Academia.edu creepy things

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at oeaw.ac.at
Sat Apr 8 07:14:22 UTC 2023

This might just be a coincidence. But would it be possible if someone
uses Academia.edu through a Google login, with their gmail account, that
some kind of triggering mechanism comes to apply?

Best, Birgit Kellner

Am 07.04.23 um 23:37 schrieb Dominik Wujastyk via INDOLOGY:
> That's quite suspicious. Perhaps Kaul had a burst of online business
> and posted to INDOLOGY and /at the same time/ uploaded the review to
> Academia, which triggered your notification.  We can't tell from
> Academia when papers are uploaded, but the review has 317 views, which
> suggests it was uploaded a while ago, not recently.  So that
> explanation is probably wrong.
>
> How could Academia possibly be getting information about your incoming
> emails?  What mechanism can we imagine?  Emails don't deposit cookies,
> so cross-site cookies aren't the pathway.  If Academia is harvesting
> from the INDOLOGY archive, which is technically possible, then
> *everyone* would get the Kaul notification or similar ones, not just
> you.  It's hard to see how this might work.  Without a plausible
> mechanism, I'm staying with coincidence.
>
> But I have all my Academia notifications turned off, so I never get
> anything from them. If I want to know their stuff, I look at the website.
>
> Best,
> Dominik

Prof. Birgit Kellner, PhD, wM
Direktorin
Institut für Kultur- und Geistesgeschichte Asiens
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Hollandstraße 11-13/2
1020 Wien

Prof. Birgit Kellner, PhD, wM
Director
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Hollandstrasse 11-13/2
1020 Vienna
Austria