[INDOLOGY] Weller Prize 2023

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 02:41:01 UTC 2023

Congratulations to  Yigal and Larry .

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 1:30 AM Jesse Knutson via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Congratulations Larry and Yigal! The honor is well deserved.
>
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 12:54 PM Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Hearty congratulations, Yigal and Larry!
>>
>> Madhav
>>
>> Madhav M. Deshpande
>> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
>> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore,
>> India
>>
>> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 2:51 PM Eli Franco <franco at uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>>

>>> Dear friends and colleagues,
>>> It is my pleasure to announce that the Friedrich Weller Prize 2023
>>> will be awarded to Yigal Bronner and Larry McCrea for their monograph
>>> “First Words, Last Words” (Oxford 2021). The awarding ceremony will
>>> take place in the Spring Open Session of the Saxon Academy of Sciences
>>> on April 14
>>> (
>>> https://www.saw-leipzig.de/de/aktuelles/oeffentliche-fruehjahrssitzung-2023
>>> ).
>>> With best wishes,
>>> Eli Franco
>>>
>>> --
>>> Prof. Dr. Eli Franco
>>> Institut für Indologie und Zentralasienwissenschaften
>>> Schillerstr. 6
>>> 04109 Leipzig
>>>
>>> Ph. +49 341 9737 121, 9737 120 (dept. office)
>>> Fax +49 341 9737 148

> --
> --------
> Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
> Professor of Sanskrit Language and Literature
> Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures
> University of Hawai'i, Mānoa
> 461 Spalding
>
> It is creative apperception more than anything else that makes the
> individual feel that life is worth living. Contrasted with this is a
> relationship to external reality which is one of compliance, the world and
> its details being recognized but only as something to be fitted in with or
> demanding adaptation. Compliance carries with it a sense of futility for
> the individual and is associated with the idea that nothing matters and
> that life is not worth living. In a tantalizing way many individuals have
> experienced just enough creative living to recognize that for most of their
> time they are living uncreatively, as if caught up in the creativity of
> someone else, or of a machine.--Donald Winnicott, *Playing and Reality*

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.