[INDOLOGY] New Publication Announcement

AJ Misra anuj.misra at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:31:21 UTC 2022

Dear all:

I'm delighted to announce the publication of my book
[image: image.png]

*Learning With Spheres: The **golādhyāya** in Nityānanda’s *
*Sarvasiddhāntarāja *in the *Scientific Writings from the Ancient and
Medieval World * series published by Routledge
(
https://www.routledge.com/Learning-With-Spheres-The-goladhyaya-in-Nityanandas-Sarvasiddhantaraja/Misra/p/book/9781138583573
).

Very briefly, this book offers a critical edition and an English
translation (accompanied by critical notes and technical analyses) of the
chapter on spheres (*golādhyāya*) from Nityānanda’s *Sarvasiddhāntarāja*, a
Sanskrit astronomical text written in seventeenth-century Mughal India. The
introductory and technical discussions in this book provide a sense of how
Sanskrit astronomical thought thrived in early modern Mughal India; in
particular, how terrestrial and celestial phenomena were understood by
Sanskrit astronomers using spherical geometry. I hope that this book will
be of interest to historians and philosophers of science, in particular
those interested in the history of non-Western astral sciences, as well as
to historians of astronomy interested in the ways in which Sanskrit and
Indo-Persian astronomy interacted in Mughal India.

With kind regards,
AJ

--
Anuj Juan Misra, PhD