[INDOLOGY] Gourds

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Tue May 17 20:45:41 UTC 2022

In a fanciful expression of humility, a 13th-century Sanskrit author
compares his work to a /kadatumbī /(according to the MS) in which to
cross the ocean. I haven't found that exact word anywhere, but
Monier-Williams gives 'a kind of bitter gourd' for /kaṭutumbī/, which
might be meant. Do we know what kind that might be (that is, what it
should be called in English), or does anyone have a qualified guess? I
confess to a complete ignorance of gourds, though I would assume it to
be some fairly large and rounded variety, perhaps used to make bowls or
the like. MW gives Suśruta as his reference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Martin Gansten