[INDOLOGY] Vedic wolf warriors?

Eric Gurevitch ericmgurevitch at gmail.com
Sun May 15 05:27:52 UTC 2022

A thorough historiographic review - along with an engaging dispute - of the
linking of wolves and male warrior bands in Indo-European scholarship
appears in the recent co-authored book by Carlo Ginzburg and Bruce
Lincoln: *Old
Thiess, a Livonian Werewolf A Classic Case in Comparative Perspective
*(UChicago
Press, 2020).

Take care,
Eric

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 8:45 PM Dean Michael Anderson via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Hi Caley,
>
> Yes, please send me a copy.
>
> Best,
>
> Dean
>
> On Friday, May 13, 2022, 09:50:44 PM GMT+5:30, Caley Smith <
> smith.caley at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Dear Dean,
>
> While "wolf warriors" are news to me (the wolf is a negative sign of
> anxiety or danger), if you look at Diwakar Acharya's "How to Behave Like a
> Bull," the paper argues that the emulation (and I personally would say
> *impersonation*) of Indra as an unruly bull was an ancient Vedic practice,
> elements of which survive in the Pāśupatasūtras. I am happy to send a pdf
> of this excellent paper.
>
> Best,
> Caley
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 12:11 PM Dean Michael Anderson via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> I was watching a video about berserkers inspired by the new movie *The
> Northman* and they mentioned that not only were there Viking bear
> warriors but there were also wolf warriors as shown in the movie. The video
> said that these wolf warriors are widely found among many of the early
> Indo-Europeans including in the Vedas.
>
> Can anyone point me to sources about Vedic wolf warriors?
>
> Best,
>
> Dean

Eric Gurevitch

South Asian Languages and Civilizations and

Committee on Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science

University of Chicago

gurevitch at uchicago.edu