[INDOLOGY] Citrakāvya question

Peter Pasedach peter.pasedach at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Mar 25 12:56:13 UTC 2022

Dear all,

the 48th canto of the Haravijaya, one of two called
“Citrayuddhavarṇanam” in it, contains three verses in which different
variants of a technique called Niravadya are applied:

gabhīradhīrāravarīṇabhīruraṇādarā dāruṇavāraṇā sā |
abhaṅgurā vīravirūḍhahāvasurāṅganādakṣakaṭākṣamokṣaiḥ || 51 ||
(pādaniravadyaḥ)
prabhāmayenāricamūs tadānīṃ salīlam āsphālitacāpayaṣṭiḥ |
virūḍhasaṃrambhasurāribāṇasaṃbhārasaṃruddhakarīrakuñjā || 52 ||
(prāgardhaniravadyaḥ)
ārūḍharīḍhāmarabāṇaviddhaturaṃgamālā raṇarāgamūḍhā |
nītā vihastatvabhibhaiḥ sahātha suvarṇasānor gahanāny avikṣat || 13 ||
(caramārdhaniravadyaḥ)

V. Balasubramaniam lists these in his Citram book (2007, vol. I, p.
313f.), but unfortunately without explaining the restriction. I have
not yet found any other instances of this technique being used. Is
anybody familiar with this technique, or can spot a pattern, and could
explain what is the “blameless” element in these stanzas?

Best wishes

Peter Pasedach