[INDOLOGY] the late fate of the the Rig Vedic Dyaus Pater?

Dean Michael Anderson eastwestcultural at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 21:03:16 UTC 2022

 Thanks for the very useful replies.
On Thursday, June 2, 2022at 09:19:28 PM GMT+5:30, Caley Smith <smith.caley at gmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks! Parenthoodhas been amazing so far.

>It's not lost on methat as a new father I am making a lot of

>claims about heavenlyfatherhood.

Yes, I noticed thatcoincidence too. Perhaps your new father status will grant you some specialinsights into our topic. Although, from what you say, those won't involve anyparenting tips from Indra.

>Iranian doesn'tprovide any evidence for us, so

>if Dyaus Pitar was animportant figure, his importance likely declined

>already in a sharedIndo-Iranian period prior to the speech community's division.

Could you please directme to any discussions or sources on that if you have them at hand?

It's interesting that wefind Dyaus in Indic but not Iranian if I understand you correctly. Is itpossible that might give us some hint of a somewhat more complex process ofseparation between Indic and Iranian? I don't really know what that might be atthe moment, but it is something to let percolate in the background of my mind.

>I am not certainthere is particular importance, personally, to assign to the figure of Tiu.

The main reason I fallinto the camp that proposes that Tiu was originally a more important god thanexisting records indicate is because in Anglo-Saxon (and other Germaniccountries), four of the days of the week are named after gods, and the otherthree gods were clearly among the most important deities: Odin/Wodan, Thor, andFrig --  or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,Friday.

>Consider Old EnglishTīwesdæg "Tuesday" is etymologically cognate with a hypothetical

>Sanskrit devadaha*,... if I am not mistaken.

How does the Sanskritdaha* relate to the Germanic dæg or 'day'?

>And in Irish, theDagda would go by cognate, hypothetically, with a Sanskrit dahadeva.*

I'm glad you introducedthe Dagda, one of my favorite father gods. Do you see any more connections?Also, do you see a connection with Taranis in any of this to either Dyaus orIndra?

>BUT In an email tome, John Lowe pointed out, and I think quite convincingly,

>that we have toreconstruct a vocative Dyews Phter to the proto-level

>... So, thispragmatic dimension does make me reconsider

>what I said earlier,and I thank him for pointing this out. ...

>I'll have to thinkvery carefully about this.

I'd be interested in yourfurther thoughts as they evolve.

 >it's more likely that Indra is taking overmythical deed once attributed to Trita and Mitra,

> this there is somecomparative data from Avestan that let's us think through the problem.

I feel like this isbecoming a repetitive refrain, but could you point me to some discussion ofthis? As well as this: "This is something Kuiper, Jamison, and Breretonobserve in X.124, the peaceful switch from asura power to Indra's devicsupremacy."

>I would ask myselfwhat the political organization of steppe peoples is like

> and if it is morelike how Indo-Iranians were organized or more like how Greeks and

>Romans wereorganized, and what kind of myths would make sense to

>the worldview of thataudience and would be useful for their own political operations.

This is one of the linesof thinking I am following in my own research at the moment. I think sometheorists of the early Indo-Europeans were over-influenced by the evidence fromstate-level societies like the Greeks and Romans and didn't think enough abouthow the early period would have been more of a tribal chieftain organization.

Thanks for all of thethought-provoking comments.

Best,

Dean