[INDOLOGY] Indic rendering

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 22:57:53 UTC 2022

Jan Kucera wrote:

Harry, you said you have seen printed editions with the Vedic signs, is
> that something you can easily share or refer to for me to find in a library?

I was quoting from an email conversation I had a while ago with a
devanagari font designer so I don't recall the exact editions I was
referring to.  I think they were of the vājasaneyi-saṁhitā . But if you
look at this edition of the  vājasaneyi-saṁhitā, it will have at least some
of these vedic signs, showing combination with the bindu.
https://ia801604.us.archive.org/5/items/in.ernet.dli.2015.292661/2015.292661.Vajasaneyi-samhita.pdf
(see page 6 etc.)

> What about these signs:
>

> Should they also take anusvara/candrabindu? They all seem to already
> contain a dot.

I don't know these vedic signs,  but from the names these appear to be
different forms of the anusvara, so I suspect they don't combine with
another bindu or candrabindu .

One other thing to note.  The rendering problem with MSWord I noted, i.e.
the dotted circle put in when a character from the devanagari extensions or
vedic extensions block is combined with an accent, doesn't occur with the
Adishila font family.  This is because there is a  work-around you can put
in a font (which is you put a zero width character at the unicode location
where the dotted circle should be, so that whenever MSWord (or other
software) tries to print a dotted circle it prints nothing instead.

Harry Spier