[INDOLOGY] Divine origin of Sanskrit

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 12:05:06 UTC 2022

>  but this does not mean that is has a divine origin

-- thanks for this highly discerning statement, Prof. Bronkhorst.

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 7:57 PM Johannes Bronkhorst via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> I also would be happy (and surprised) to see references to a divine origin
> of Sanskrit. It is true that Sanskrit is *daivī vāk* (Bhartṛhari) “divine
> language” or “language of the gods”, but this does not mean that is has a
> divine origin. In Brahmanical circles, at least since Kātyāyana and Patañjali,
> Sanskrit is eternal and has no origin at all.
>
>  Johannes Bronkhorst
>

> On 27 Jul 2022, at 13:36, Buchta, David via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> George Cardona has a 1990 paper, "On Attitudes Towards Language in Ancient
> India" that might be helpful. It was published as #15 of the Sino-Platonic
> Papers from the Department of Oriental Studies at UPenn. I can dig up a PDF
> as needed.
>
> Best,
> Dave
> --
> David Buchta, PhD
> Senior Lecturer in Sanskrit
> Department of Classics
> Brown University
>

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 6:08 AM Gruenendahl, Reinhold <
> gruenen at sub.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> I would be very grateful for any references to the concept of a divine
>> origin of Sanskrit in primary and/or secondary literature.
>>

>> With thanks in advance
>>
>> and best wishes
>>
>> Reinhold Grünendahl

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.