[INDOLOGY] Divine origin of Sanskrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Jul 27 22:17:10 UTC 2022

Ideas of divine origin of speech go back to the R̥gveda:

देवीं वाचमजनयन्त देवास्तां विश्वरूपाः पशवो वदन्ति |
सा नो मन्द्रेषमूर्जं दुहाना धेनुर्वागस्मानुप सुष्टुतैतु || ऋग्वेद
08.100.11.

I am attaching an old article of mine surveying the Vedic ideas and ideas
about the Vedas. Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]