[INDOLOGY] Prakrit courses at ILARA (EPHE) Paris

Melinda Fodor fodorlnd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 09:02:18 UTC 2022

Dear all,

For your information, I have been teaching Prakrit at ILARA (Institut des
Langues Rares, École Pratique des Hautes Études, Paris) for one year.

Two types of courses alternate from academic year to academic year: Prakrit
1 (Introduction to the fundamentals of Prakrit literature and literary
languages, that was in 2021-2022) and Prakrit 2 (reading class that starts
this year 2022-2023).

The aim is to teach the Prakrit language as a language in its own right, as
we learn and read Pali (without Sanskrit translation) so knowledge of
Sanskrit is not essential.  However, Prakrit 2 is only available to those
who have already studied Prakrit (with me at ILARA or elsewhere) or have at
least a good knowledge of Sanskrit and want to endeavour to read Prakrit
using Sanskrit translations as little as possible.

During these courses, Prakrit literary languages, such as Maharashtri,
Shauraseni and Magadhi, and non-religious literary texts in these dialects,
are covered.

The courses are taught in a hybrid mode, in class and at the same time
online (Teams), according to the Paris time zone (UTC/GMT +2 hours), and in
*French*.

You will find all the necessary information at the following links:
Prakrit 1:
https://ilara.hypotheses.org/formations/cours-de-lilara/asie-du-sud/le-prakrit
Prakrit 2:
https://ilara.hypotheses.org/formations/cours-de-lilara/asie-du-sud/prakrit-2