[INDOLOGY] 'conscience'

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Sun Jul 17 20:18:47 UTC 2022

Dear Ram-Prasad,

To piggy-back on Matthew Kapstein's reference to *hrī* and *apatrāpya* in
the abhidharma/abhidhamma, there are two texts bearing the title in *Hiri
Sutta* in the Pali canon: SN 1.18 and 2.3. Their usefulness to your
colleague might be limited as they are both quite short, but they are still
worth mentioning as part of the broader Buddhist discourse on hrī/hiri.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn01/sn01.018.than.html
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.2.03.than.html

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 12:40 AM Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Relevant too would be the complementary notions, in Buddhist Abhidharma,
> of hrI and apatrApya, roughly conscience and a sense of shame. They're of
> interest in particular because of the explicit distinction between
> self-regarding and other-regarding moral attitudes made in this context.
> I'm not sure that there are dedicated studies on just this topic, but any
> good work on the abhidhamma/abhidharma will deal with this at some point.
>
> best,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago
>
> https://brill.com/view/title/60949
>
> https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein

*Sincerely,*

*Westin Harris*
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.