[INDOLOGY] Inscribed Coral Stone from Maldives

Alastair Gornall alastair_gornall at sutd.edu.sg
Thu Jul 14 05:50:02 UTC 2022

Dear colleagues,

I was recently contacted by a hotel in the Maldives that also runs a small, private museum. They have found a number of these coral slabs inscribed with nāgarī characters on the island of Angolhitheemu, and they sent me this example (see attached image).

I am not confident to speculate on what this might be, but I thought someone on the list would surely be able to shed some light on the matter! My contact at the hotel museum suggests that these finds may have formed part of a tomb, but I have not received further information after asking for more details.

With all good wishes,

Alastair Gornall
Singapore

[cid:1B04F3D4-85D0-4AC3-984B-F0C1C42DAA08]

This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended for receipt and use solely by the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email, or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. Please delete the email immediately and inform the sender. Thank You