[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit inscription in Egypt?

Westin Harris wlharris at ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 2 12:33:55 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

Indeed, Dr. Silk, your note of caution is wise and well-taken. Despite my
momentary Stendhal syndrome, I certainly could have qualified my statement
more carefully--though only the part identifying the image as the Buddha,
certainly not the "beautiful" part! That said, in my haste I failed to
mention that there is a fair bit more evidence to support the Buddha
identification than what is covered in Dr. Sidebotham's earlier lecture.

Dr. Shailendra covers most of this evidence in the lecture linked above.
For instance, several other representations of the Buddha (a pair of Buddha
heads and another headless statue) were discovered at the same site. Dr.
Shailendra theorizes that they are locally-made votives commissioned by
South Asian merchants.

Nonetheless, "more than a small amount of caution" is always advisable
under such circumstances. Thank you again for that reminder.

For anyone who is interested (or who has trouble accessing the recorded
lecture), I've copy-pasted the abstract of Dr. Shailendra's lecture
(including brief mention of the Buddha representations) below:

*Dr Shailendra Bhandare (Ashmolean Museum, Oxford), Prof Marianne Bergmann
> (GAU Göttingen) and Martina Stoye (Museum für Asiatische Kunst Berlin, SMB,
> SPK)*

*Indian Dedications at Berenike on the Red Sea *

Berenike on the Red Sea was one of two ports through which in the Roman
> Empire the seaborne trade between the Mediterranean Sea and Arabia, East
> Africa and India passed. Everybody working or living there was directly or
> indirectly engaged in trade or in ensuring the relevant taxes for the Roman
> government. Activity was in sync with the monsoons. Excavations at Berenike
> begun in 1994 are ongoing by the Universities of Delaware (S.E.
> Sidebotham), Heidelberg (R. Ast), Leiden (O.E. Kaper) under the auspices of
> the Polish Centre of Mediterranean Archaeology. This joint presentation
> focuses on a number of figural representations and one Brahmi inscription,
> connected with Gandharan culture. Most of them were found recently in the
> context of the settlement’s main temple, a temple of the Egyptian goddess
> Isis, where they had been dedicated as votives. Four of them are fragments
> of representations of Buddha: two heads and two headless statuettes. They
> were not imported, but made locally on commission, using different
> materials, of different quality and by local workshops as well as by
> seasonally working sculptors. Especially the statuettes are interesting,
> which translate the rarer of the two main Gandharan types of the standing
> Buddha, the one used on Kanishka’s gold coins, into the styles of the
> ‘copyists’. Most probably they were commissioned by traders from India. As
> many other votives in the temple, the Buddha-votives seem to have served
> the dual purpose of representing the traders to others at probably the most
> public place of the settlement and of expressing thanks and prayers for a
> safe journey. A terracotta warrior in Greco-Roman armour with parallels in
> the region of Ter, however, is an import and represents the Satavahana
> region of the Indian trade. A votive stele featuring the Indic triad of
> Vasudeva-Balarama and Ekānamśa is a very significant find. Here again,
> comparisons with the occurrence of these deities from Gandhara provides a
> worthwhile context.

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 5:29 PM Christophe Vielle via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> [...]
> session 5 of the Gandharan Art in its Buddhist Context: international
> workshop: Dr Shailendra Bhandare (Ashmolean Museum), and Martina Stoye
> (Museum für Asiatische Kunst Berlin, SMB, SPK)Indian Dedications at
> Berenike on the Red Sea. There's a video available but I have always found
> the Gandhāra Connections website to be very finicky and have not been able
> to get it to play on my computer but only on my phone. Hopefully you have
> more luck!
>
> All my best,
> Charlie
>
> Dr. Charles DiSimone
> Department of Languages and Cultures
> Ghent University
>

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 9:24 AM Asko Parpola via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Excavations have been carried out at Berenike from the early 1990s under
>> Steven Sidebotham, who in 2011 published the following book:
>> Sidebotham, Steven E., 2011. Berenike and the ancient maritime spice
>> route. (The California World History Library 18.) Berkeley: University of
>> California Press. xviii, 434 pp., ill.
>> Steven E. Sidebotham is Professor of History at the University of
>> Delaware, email ses at udel.edu <ses at udel.edu>
>>
>> Best regards, Asko
>>

>> On 2. Jul 2022, at 1.23, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Rich,
>>
>>      I see a March 29 message on FaceBook by Shailen Bhandare:
>>
>> "The recording of our presentation on interesting "transcultural"
>> findings from the excavations at Berenike is now on-line. I present an
>> exciting discovery - the first ever Sanskrit inscription found in Egypt,
>> dated in the reign of Roman Emperor Philip 'the Arab'! It is a dedicatory
>> inscription left by a Kshatriya named Vasula, and undoubtedly of a Buddhist
>> nature as indicated by its colophon. Thanks again to Steve Sidebotham and
>> Team Berenike!"
>>
>> Shailen Bhandare will be the best source of information on this topic.
>>
>> Madhav
>>
>> Madhav M. Deshpande
>> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
>> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
>> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
>> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore,
>> India
>>
>> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 1:13 PM Richard G. Salomon via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear colleagues,
>>>
>>> Some weeks ago I saw a reference on Facebook to the recent discovery of
>>> a Sanskrit inscription in Egypt, said to be dated to the reign of the Roman
>>> emperor Philip "the Arab" (244-249 CE). But I haven't been able to find any
>>> further information about this. Has anyone heard any more about this?

*Sincerely,*

*Westin Harris*
Ph.D. Candidate
Study of Religion
University of California, Davis
https://religions.ucdavis.edu/people/westin-harris

2021 Dissertation Fellow,
The Robert H. N. Ho Family Foundation Program in Buddhist Studies

Sarva Mangalam.