[INDOLOGY] Alphabetical order in Sanskrit and Pali

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Feb 21 17:26:21 UTC 2022

Hello Aleix,

The Pāṇinīyaśikṣā says:
स्वरतः कालतः स्थानात् प्रयत्नानुप्रदानतः। इति वर्णविदः प्राहुर्निपुणास्तं
निबोधत।

For your interest, you should consult the Śikṣā and Prātiśākhya literature.
A good introduction will be W.S. Allen's book "Phonetics in Ancient India."
For details, you may consult the Introduction to my edition of the
Śaunakīya Caturādhyāyikā published in the Harvard Oriental Studies. The
bibliography in that book may give you comprehensive references to research
publications on this subject.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]