[INDOLOGY] Short and sweet?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 16:10:33 UTC 2022

In a Sanskrit text probably originating in 13th-century Gujarat, I just
came across this line:

yas tājikabhāṣāyāṃ sūkṣmasvāduś ca sahamasāda iti |

This is a reference to the Arabic term /sahm as-saʿāda/ (the Lot of
Fortune, an astrological concept). But I am puzzled by the designation
sūkṣmasvādu, which I have never seen before that I can recall, and
certainly not applied to an abstract concept. Does it ring a bell with
anyone? Is it an idiomatic expression that I have failed to pick up?

Thanks in advance,
Martin Gansten