[INDOLOGY] Auspicious numbers in Hinduism

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 22:08:19 UTC 2022

I am surprised not yet to see reference to Otto Stein, 'The Numeral 18', (*The
Poona Orientalist *1, 1936, pp. 1-37; 2, 1937, pp. 164-165. it is reprinted
in the *Kleine Schriften*.

Freidrich Wilhelm said of the papers:

In *The Poona Orientalist* I and II ( 1936 and 37) Stein published two
articles on the numeral 18. They are valuable contributions to Indian
number mysticism which is traceable since Vedic times. Even the reader who
is aware of the specific meaningfulness of Indian numbers will be astounded
how many references Stein was able to collect, and will feel inspired to
look for more material on this and other numerals.

Stein was one of the all too many scholars brutally murdered by the Nazis,
in his case along with his wife in Spring 1942 in Lodz.

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 10:11 PM Jonathan Duquette via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> I like to think of 108 as mathematically auspicious:
>
> 108=(1^1)*(2^2)*(3^3)!
>
> Jonathan
>

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 21:03, Tieken, H.J.H. (Herman) via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear Harry,
>>
>> I do not know about the auspiciousness of 108. However, the 8 in 108 does
>> have a special meaning as it does in 18 (books of the Mahābhārata).
>> Following upon 7, which makes a finite, closed list (seventh heaven, seven
>> generations  in some inscriptions), 8 opens it again (with it the
>> speaker/writer indicates that he could easily go on adding to the list).
>> Thus, 8 rasas  ("On the Use of Rasa in Studies of Sanskrit Drama, IIJ 43
>> (2000), pp. 115-138) and in some Gupta inscriptions the kings are praised
>> in 8 stanzas ("Some Literary Embellishments in the Gupta Inscriptions".
>> ArOr 74/4 (2006), pp. 451-460.
>>
>> I vaguely remember that Jan Gonda has written about numbers, but am
>> unable to provide a reference.
>>
>> Kind regards, Herman
>>

>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Stationsweg+58+%0D%0A+2515+BP+Den+Haag+%0D%0A+The+Netherlands?entry=gmail&source=g>
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Stationsweg+58+%0D%0A+2515+BP+Den+Haag+%0D%0A+The+Netherlands?entry=gmail&source=g>
>> Herman Tieken
>> Stationsweg 58
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Stationsweg+58+%0D%0A+2515+BP+Den+Haag+%0D%0A+The+Netherlands?entry=gmail&source=g>
>> 2515 BP Den Haag
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Stationsweg+58+%0D%0A+2515+BP+Den+Haag+%0D%0A+The+Netherlands?entry=gmail&source=g>
>> The Netherlands
>> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/Stationsweg+58+%0D%0A+2515+BP+Den+Haag+%0D%0A+The+Netherlands?entry=gmail&source=g>
>> 00 31 (0)70 2208127
>> website: hermantieken.com

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk