[INDOLOGY] Auspicious numbers in Hinduism

Tieken, H.J.H. (Herman) H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Feb 9 21:03:10 UTC 2022

Dear Harry,

I do not know about the auspiciousness of 108. However, the 8 in 108 does have a special meaning as it does in 18 (books of the Mahābhārata). Following upon 7, which makes a finite, closed list (seventh heaven, seven generations  in some inscriptions), 8 opens it again (with it the speaker/writer indicates that he could easily go on adding to the list). Thus, 8 rasas  ("On the Use of Rasa in Studies of Sanskrit Drama, IIJ 43 (2000), pp. 115-138) and in some Gupta inscriptions the kings are praised in 8 stanzas ("Some Literary Embellishments in the Gupta Inscriptions". ArOr 74/4 (2006), pp. 451-460.

I vaguely remember that Jan Gonda has written about numbers, but am unable to provide a reference.

Kind regards, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag