[INDOLOGY] Śāradā script workshop

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:02:39 UTC 2022

With your permission, I think that a correction is in order here. The date
given for the use of the Śāradā script is wrong.
The earliest we can speak of a (proto-)Śāradā script is from - if you are
lucky - the 7th century. And its use does certainly not end with the 12th
century, but only with the 19th, possibly even the 20th, century, despite
the gradual entry of the Devanāgarī script into the Kashmir Valley
(especially under the Mughal and Dogra rulers). In any case, the bulk of
the surviving manuscripts date from the 15th-19th centuries.

Kind regards,
WS