[INDOLOGY] Might anyone have an idea what this could be?

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 16:46:29 UTC 2022

The same words Tanjur and Kanjur appear in relation to Tibet in some other
web documents like

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/349551196_History_of_the_Buddhist_Canon

http://web.seducoahuila.gob.mx/biblioweb/upload/Blavatsky,%20H%20P%20-%20Cosmogenesis%20[English].pdf

The Blavatsky pdf has the following paragraph(s) in which these two names
are used :

Turning now to the oldest Aryan literature, the Rig-Veda, the student will
find, following strictly in this the data furnished by the said
Orientalists themselves, that, although the Rig-Veda contains only "about
10,580 verses, or 1,028 hymns," in spite of the Brahmanas
and the mass of glosses and commentaries, it is not understood correctly to
this day. Why is this so? Evidently because the
Brahmanas, "the scholastic and oldest treatises on the primitive hymns,"
themselves require a key, which the Orientalists have failed
to secure.
What do the scholars say of Buddhist literature? Have they got it in its
completeness? Assuredly not. Notwithstanding the 325 volumes
of the Kanjur and the Tanjur of the Northern Buddhists, each volume we are
told, "weighing from four to five pounds," nothing, in
truth, is known of Lamaism. Yet, the sacred canon of the Southern Church is
said to contain 29,368,000 letters in the Saddharma
alankara,* or, exclusive of treatises and commentaries, "five or six times
the amount of the matter contained in the Bible," the latter,
in the words of Professor Max Muller, rejoicing only in 3,567,180 letters.
Notwithstanding, then, these "325 volumes" (in reality there
are 333, Kanjur comprising 108, and Tanjur 225 volumes), "the translators,
instead of supplying us with correct versions, have
interwoven them with their own commentaries, for the purpose of justifying
the dogmas of their several schools."** Moreover,
"according to a tradition preserved by the Buddhist schools, both of the
South and of the North, the sacred Buddhist Canon comprised
originally 80,000 or 84,000 tracts, but most of them were lost, so that
there remained but 6,000," the professor tells his audiences.
"Lost" as usual for Europeans. But who can be quite sure that they are
likewise lost for Buddhists and Brahmins?

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 8:47 PM Jonathan Silk via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Friends
>
> I recently came across the following listing at
>

> https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22479990694&searchurl=n%3D100121503%26pt%3Dbook%26sortby%3D1%26kn%3Dsanskrit&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp6-_-title25
>
> I have no idea what this could be, do you?
>
> The Tanjur and The Kanjur: A Dissertation on Sanskrit, the Language of
> Antiquity, and on the corollary question, "Where was the Cradle of the
> Aryan race?"
> RICHARD, William L.
> Verlag: La Casa Amaraca, Freeport, N.Y., 1920
>
> described as follows:
>
> First edition. Oblong octavo. Printed wrapper: 7, [1]pp., photographic
> frontispiece portrait and unpaged (approximately forty-one) gelatin silver
> photographs of the Sanskrit manuscripts. Contemporary custom binding by the
> Atelier Bindery in full pale brown morocco with four raised bands and black
> morocco spine label with title and decorations of dragons and swastikas in
> gilt, dentelles in elaborate gilt floral pattern, all edges gilt, marbled
> endpapers. Top corners slightly bumped, very near fine in custom cloth
> slipcase. One of 500 numbered copies, this copy unnumbered. Brief
> dissertation about the author's copies of rare Tibetan Sanskrit
> manuscripts. Apparently issued as an eight page pamphlet, this copy has
> been enhanced with the photographs and seems likely to have been the
> author's own copy. Attractive and beautifully bound volume. *OCLC* locates
> two copies of the pamphlet, but nothing with accompanying illustrations.
> (Yale and NYPL). Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers 408916
>
> it seems to me in the first place probable that the person who wrote this
> does not know the difference between Tibetan and Sanskrit, but maybe that
> is not true? Interesting, i think, and it makes me curious.
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
> J. Silk
> Leiden University
> Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
> Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
> 2311 BZ Leiden
> The Netherlands
>
> website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
> copies of my publications may be found at
> https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director, Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.