[INDOLOGY] Might anyone have an idea what this could be?

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 15:16:10 UTC 2022

Friends

I recently came across the following listing at

https://www.zvab.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22479990694&searchurl=n%3D100121503%26pt%3Dbook%26sortby%3D1%26kn%3Dsanskrit&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp6-_-title25

I have no idea what this could be, do you?

The Tanjur and The Kanjur: A Dissertation on Sanskrit, the Language of
Antiquity, and on the corollary question, "Where was the Cradle of the
Aryan race?"
RICHARD, William L.
Verlag: La Casa Amaraca, Freeport, N.Y., 1920

described as follows:

First edition. Oblong octavo. Printed wrapper: 7, [1]pp., photographic
frontispiece portrait and unpaged (approximately forty-one) gelatin silver
photographs of the Sanskrit manuscripts. Contemporary custom binding by the
Atelier Bindery in full pale brown morocco with four raised bands and black
morocco spine label with title and decorations of dragons and swastikas in
gilt, dentelles in elaborate gilt floral pattern, all edges gilt, marbled
endpapers. Top corners slightly bumped, very near fine in custom cloth
slipcase. One of 500 numbered copies, this copy unnumbered. Brief
dissertation about the author's copies of rare Tibetan Sanskrit
manuscripts. Apparently issued as an eight page pamphlet, this copy has
been enhanced with the photographs and seems likely to have been the
author's own copy. Attractive and beautifully bound volume. *OCLC* locates
two copies of the pamphlet, but nothing with accompanying illustrations.
(Yale and NYPL). Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers 408916

it seems to me in the first place probable that the person who wrote this
does not know the difference between Tibetan and Sanskrit, but maybe that
is not true? Interesting, i think, and it makes me curious.

Jonathan

--
J. Silk
Leiden University

website: www.OpenPhilology.eu
copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk