[INDOLOGY] witchcraft info

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 4 14:19:59 UTC 2022

Hi Jonathan,

I agree that divining is the primary focus, but if you go through the entire list, some of the items (e.g., bhūtavijjā,
perhaps "conjuring ghosts") seem to be leaning towards what we think of as witchcraft, which of course is a somewhat vague term.

best,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études, émérite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago

https://brill.com/view/title/60949

https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein