[INDOLOGY] Navagraha miniatures

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 05:47:04 UTC 2022

Thanks, Tejas for sharing.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 11:28 PM Tejas Aralere via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Hello Dr Gansten,
>
> Yes, actually the British museum has a full set of navagraha sculptures
> near the rear (Montague??) entrance. They are on the left side along the
> wall. They’re 13th century from Odisha.  I’ve attached a folder with
> photos I took just last year for my own dissertation work on *jyotiṣa*.
> I can't seem to find them on the British Museum website - perhaps I'm not
> searching correctly or they're simply unlabeled. These photos should come
> through, but please let me know if they don't and we can use a fileshare
> site.
>
> Thanks,
> Tejas
> --
> Tejas S. Aralere
> PhD Candidate Classical Studies
> University of California, Santa Barbara
> https://www.classics.ucsb.edu/student/tejas-aralere/
>

>  IMG_8087.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mH6WUXbzZ1PJO-aKB3f5iTRBVXDwqUQz/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8088.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/18VvC2u81vKJTrvCbNGy4SzFiSqlIXH_H/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8089.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aY3L2oHGat9Oq2By2SsoGYPC1TFIaCLo/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8090.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLRRsxgd2NyBKObFl5ilczLsPC7qlq-Y/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8091.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYLJi2Ba5SMEt8t-1QbIeIOrr3b_mGvH/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8092.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cfi91SyJFyqIrr_JbQ94h9fknogxxHWy/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8093.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kWGKfLtkViL7JgJe11e_9SevwPCAD9VH/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8094.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uagwLnNgDFapnXDI-h8CXXdHSwS3cw0p/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8095.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ms0kbS7CZ7EqO9T-oxAY7UQtFCrCmoxb/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8096.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ySJ2kkg56ykPt9trASkPu0kqBCBOi3t0/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8097.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QQMuEyHkujb5F9Ql1mroXxaPXBUJ3cYQ/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8098.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O-23wiwQnVizgF2WTWpJgrYap3CgJVdq/view?usp=drive_web>
>  IMG_8099.HEIC
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rTtvQ6G1AyVt67HCMiyxDMKYZKUc8Cwm/view?usp=drive_web>
>

> On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 10:32 AM Martin Gansten via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Sonja Brentjes, who is working on the history of astral iconography but
>> is not a member of this list, sent me this question, which I am passing
>> on with her permission:
>>
>> > Do you know perhaps miniatures of the Navagrahas and can you recommend
>> > me online collections or good publications? We have found a few from
> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.