[INDOLOGY] Beginning Marathi by Suhasini Laddu and other textbooks of Marathi

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun Aug 28 20:21:48 UTC 2022

Hello Tyler,

There is an introductory textbook for Marathi by Franklin Southworth and
Naresh Kavadi published by the University of Pennsylvania Press:
"First-Year Intensive Course, Spoken Marathi," 1965, 1968.

Several volumes published by Maxine Berntsen and Jai Nimbkar: 1) A Marathi
Reference Grammar, 2) An Intermediate Marathi Reader, Part I, II, 3) An
Advanced Marathi Reader, Part I, II. All of these are published by the
Department of South Asia Regional Studies, University of Pennsylvania,
Philadelphia.

I have Suhasini Laddu's "Beginning Marathi, Part I: Reader, but it is a
very short 48 page booklet. Useful as it is, I would recommend that you
look at the books I have listed above. They give better coverage of Marathi
grammar and reading materials. There is a book published by the Government
of Maharashtra with a title like "Marathi, Rajabhasha Parichaya." I may
have a pdf of it. If I find it, I can send it to you.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]