[INDOLOGY] Use of 'Cōṉakaṉ' in Kerala

a.murugaiyan a.murugaiyan at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 24 14:22:12 UTC 2022

Dear Mr Palaniappan,

It seems that the word சோனகர்was used to designate the descendants of
Arab countries. I checked the “Cochin (Jewish) copper plates of Bhaskara
Ravivarman (Epigraphia Indica, vol.III. p. 66-69).
This term was not used.
சோனகன் / சோனகர் “ அரபு நாட்டார் (See Y. Subbarayalu, Glosary of Tamil
Inscriptions, Vol 1, p.271.
For more discussions see also, Travancore Archaeological Series, Vol.
III – part. 1, p. 40 and
SII. Vol 2. Part iv, p. 428.

Best regards.
Murugaiyan