[INDOLOGY] Psychological effect of vāta-doṣa

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 24 09:38:03 UTC 2022

Dear Itamar,

I do not know the Indic sources in this case, but the Tibetan equivalent, rlung nad (lit. "wind disease"), often refers to states of panic, paranoia, hyper-sensitivity, etc. A somewhat popular, but not erroneous, presentation of the issue may be found in Terry Clifford, Tibetan Buddhist Medicine and Psychiatry, pp. 132-136. Those more familiar with medical literature than I am may well have additional suggestions.

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études, émérite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago

https://brill.com/view/title/60949

https://ephe.academia.edu/MatthewKapstein