[INDOLOGY] Brockington Rāmāyaṇa archive: update

John Brockington John.Brockington at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 24 08:21:11 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the sixth update of our material on the
Oxford Research Archive, first deposited in January 2016; this update is
identified as July 2022. We do so in order that it can be available for
others to consult even in its present, unfinished state. It can be
accessed at the same location
<http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8df9647a-8002-45ff-b37e-7effb669768b
<http://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:8df9647a-8002-45ff-b37e-7effb669768b>>
or you can find it via the Bodleian Libraries website, under ORA, by
looking for either our surname or its title, "Development and spread of
the Rāma narrative (pre-modern)".

As before, there are additions, revisions and corrections to the
material throughout.However, areas which have seen the greatest changes are:

·Within the folder D. Ancillary material and then the folder
“Photographs (JLB), the addition of a number more Rāmāyaṇa-related
photographs and the inclusion of a substantial number of photographs of
various Indian monuments taken over more than fifty years.

·Apart from minimal changes to the folder C. Narrative Elements, work by
MB consists mainly of more on the folder F. New Beginnings: an overall
survey of the effects on the traditional portrayal of the /VRm’s/ heroes
and villains when varied supplementary elements now mostly collected
into the CE /Bāla /and/Uttara kāṇḍas/ were added to the core text,
classified as Stage 3 (JLB 1985).The two books are themselves far from
unitary; their diverse nature sheds light on the development, not only
of Stage 3 itself (including the occasional transformation of the human
Rāma into an /avatāra/ of Viṣṇu), but also of a few puzzling episodes in
the so-called ‘core’ books.Six chapters are planned, with the first
three now complete:
1: Techniques and structure, including the role of allusions within the
narrative
2: The core narrative: evidence from three summaries and from the
/Rāmopākhyāna/ for its contents and segmentation
3: The role of boons
4: [/planned/] Establishment of a Rāghava dynasty
5: [/large part composed/] Agastya’s post-victory narrative, 7,1—34
6: [/largely incomplete, focusing only on the Ahalyā and Hanumān
episodes/] Change of genre and divinisation of the heroes
7: additional files presenting supporting material and notes.

·Work by JLB includes considerablefurther additions to all the
bibliographic sections of files within B. Bibliographic Inventory, as
well as substantial additions to the data within 10. visual (India).

//

If you are aware of colleagues in other fields (for example Southeast
Asian languages or visual culture) who might be interested, do please
pass the information on to them – and similarly, if any of you have
access to suitable academic lists on which it could be posted, we would
be grateful if you would send it to them.

As always, we shall be grateful for any comments from anyone who has
used the material.

With all good wishes

John and Mary

John Brockington

Fellow, Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies

Emeritus Professor of Sanskrit, University of Edinburgh

Vice President, International Association of Sanskrit Studies

Mary Brockington

Fellow, Oxford Centre for Hindu Studies

Research Fellow, International Association of Sanskrit Studies