[INDOLOGY] Sandhi examples in the english language

Satyanad Kichenassamy satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr
Thu Aug 4 21:04:50 UTC 2022

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022 16:53:57 -0400
Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Thank you all for these great replies. Howard Resnick gives an example of a
> spelling change for internal sandhi.  Can someone give me an example of a
> spelling change for word junction (external) sandhi in a non-Indian
> language (if such a thing exists?).

I believe I just did (for French). In case my message did not reach you: "In examples with an inserted t (ex.: y a-t-il) the modification is reflected in writing." Other example: grand-mère (grande + mère). I gather grandemere is attested in the 16th c.

Best,

   Satyanad Kichenassamy

Satyanad Kichenassamy <satyanad.kichenassamy at univ-reims.fr>