[INDOLOGY] Epic and Puranic Bibliography Online and the epithet Kr̥ṣṇadvaipāyana

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Apr 29 04:25:23 UTC 2022

Dear Arlo,

     As I understand it, kr̥ṣṇa-dvaipāyana is a compound of two words,
kr̥ṣṇa and dvaipāyana. He is called dvaipāyana, since he was born on a
dvīpa "island" in the Ganges from the union of the sage Parāśara and
Matsyagandhā. The word dvaipāyana has the Vr̥ddhi of the first syllable as
one sees in many Taddhita formations. It then gets connected to the word
kr̥ṣṇa as two adjectives forming a compound. That is why we do not see the
Vr̥ddhi in the word kr̥ṣṇa.
     Best wishes,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]