[INDOLOGY] Visualisation of Sanskrit Phonetics

Giovanni Ciotti giovanni.ciotti at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 01:09:57 UTC 2021

Dear Dr Ryan,

This seems to have been a matter of debate within the tradition since quite
some time; cf. Uvaṭa at *Ṛgvedaprātiśākhya* 1.1:

śikṣādibhir yat sāmānyenotsargeṇoktaṃ lakṣaṇam | yathā tāvac chikṣāyām syur
mūrdhanyā ‘ṛṭuraṣāḥ’ sāmānyena sarvaśākhāsu repho mūrdhanya ity uktaḥ |
tathānyasyāṃ śikṣāyām ‘dantamūlīyaḥ’ iti repho dantamūlīya uktaḥ | evaṃ
sarvā śikṣā varṇeṣu sthānakaraṇānupradānādi sarvāsu śākhāsu vidadhāti | na
tu niyamataḥ kasyāṃ śākhāyāṃ repho mūrdhanyaḥ kasyāṃ dantamūlīya iti | ata
etad vyavasthāpakam ārabhyate ‘dantamūlīyas tu takāravargaḥ’
‘sakārarephalakārāś ca’ ‘rephaṃ vartsyam eke’ | evam asyāṃ śākhāyāṃ
dantamūlīyo vā vartsyo vā repha ity etad avadhāritam |

In any case, one should always keep in mind that phonetics and phonology
don't really have a one-to-one correspondence.

All best,
Giovanni

Il giorno lun 27 set 2021 alle ore 02:23 Jim Ryan via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> ha scritto:

> Hello,

> vocalic ṛ and consonantal ra are considered “savarṇas” in the mūrdhanya
> series. (Siddhānta Kaumudī I.10.) Currently. In all the Sanskrit regional
> “dialects" I know of they are pronounced, in whole or part, as alveolars.
> Are we to presume that somehow these once were actually cerebals. Or… was
> Pāṇini wrong, here?
>
> Jim Ryan
>
> On Sep 26, 2021, at 11:36 AM, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Harry, for sharing these articles. Best,
>
> Madhav
>
> Madhav M. Deshpande
> Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
> University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
> Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
> Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India
>
> [Residence: Campbell, California, USA]
>

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 11:26 AM Harry Spier via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> There are two articles by SK Chatterji written 25 years apart titled "The
>> Pronounciation of Sanskrit" , same title, different articles.  I'm
>> attaching them for whoever is interested.
>> Harry Spier
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 1:28 PM Hock, Hans Henrich via INDOLOGY <
>> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> As I recall, the issue of how Sanskrit is pronounced in modern (i.e.
>>> early 20th-century) India is addressed in an article by Suniti Kumar
>>> Chatterji –
>>>
>>> Chatterji, Suniti Kumar. The pronunciation of Sanskrit. *Indian
>>> Linguistics*, (1961) vol. 21, pp. 61-82. Originally: *K. B. Pathak
>>> commemoration volume*, 330-349. Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute,
>>> 1934.
>>> For the ancient period, there are the Prātiśākhyas of course (the source
>>> for Allen’s and Verma’s publications; Vidhata Mishra largely repeats
>>> Verma). On the earliest recoverable pronunciation of syllabic *ṛ* as