[INDOLOGY] Pāṇini

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 21:18:05 UTC 2021

Dear Evgenia,
Please have a closer look at the history of your beautiful city.
Tsar Peter the Great kept good scientific and cultural contacts with the
Netherlands (at that time the Dutch Republic) and for some period --
especially when the forefathers of  Böhtlingk relocated there -- only or
especially Dutch were allowed to settle in the newly founded St.
Petersburg, originally named, in Dutch style, Sankt-Pieter-Burkh.
"Otto B. came from a respected and wealthy German merchant family who -
coming from Lübeck - had already settled in the northern residence when
Petersburg was founded" ("Otto B. entstammte einer angesehenen und
begüterten deutschen Kaufmannsfamilie, die -- aus Lübeck kommend -- sich
schon bei der Gründung Petersburgs in der nordischen Residenz ansässig
gemacht hatte", Biographisches Jahrbuch).
A massive presence of Germans and the existence of a German Lutheran
congregation in St. Petersburg in the *later*18th and early 19th
centuries can of course not be doubted by anyone.
I did not write or think that Otto Böhtlingk was Dutch, but that his
forefathers adopted, formally or administratively, the Dutch nationality in
order to settle in the Russian empire. That is not the same.
And in any case, as we have seen, even if they perhaps did not apply this
administrative device (although it seems likely at that time that they
did), Böhtlingks' forefathers belonged for some time to the Dutch merchant
community in St. Petersburg.
And in any case, my main point with regard to Pāṇini is that his first
successful European interpreter, Otto Böhtlingk, had, just as apparently
Pāṇini himself, a strong merchant community background, whether or not this
merchant community was (originally) Dutch-Republican and (later on,
gradually more and more predominantly) Prussian.
All best,
Jan