[INDOLOGY] Invitation: Religious Traditions of India lecture series

eva de clercq evadeclercq at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 16:33:10 UTC 2021

APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

Dear friends,

I cordially invite you for our lecture series "Religious Traditions of India", organized in the frame of the UGent Humanities Academie. The lectures can be followed online and/or on campus. After each on campus lecture (Aud. 2 Blandijn), we offer you a small reception at our department (Blandijn, 5th floor).

The online lectures are free. The program is posted below.

For registration (to get the URL): https://humanitiesacademie.ugent.be/religious-traditions-of-india. However, the registration module is entirely in Dutch only, and if you are finding it difficult to navigate, but would like to attend one or several lectures, just send me an email (ev.declercq at ugent.be) and I will send you the URL.

PROGRAMME:

Oct. 27, 19u.: Nicolas Dejenne (Université de Paris): History and Memory of Brahmendra Swami, guru of the Peshwas (Maharashtra, 1st half of 17th century) (Blandijnberg 2, Auditorium 2)

Nov. 3, 19u.: Heleen De Jonckheere (University of Chicago): The merit of pen and paper: continued patterns of Jain textual production between the 16th and the early 20th century.

Nov. 10, 19u.: Dagmar Wujastyk (University of Alberta): Understanding Indian Alchemy: Textual and practical approaches

Nov. 17, 19u.: Sara Mondini (Ca’ Foscari University of Venice): Asking for the Sovereign's Blessing: Muslim-Vīraśaiva Pilgrimage to the Tomb of a Muslim Ruler in Karnataka (Blandijnberg 2, Auditorium 2)

Nov. 24, 10u.: (crossover with Indialogue festival) Richard Williams (SOAS, London): Sensory Connoisseurship: Theologies of Play in Rajput Court Culture (Minard Schouwburg)

Dec. 1, 19u. Marie-Hélène Gorisse (University of Birmingham): Knowledge and liberation in Jainism: Characterising the Self in the Samayasāra (Blandijnberg 2, Auditorium 2)

Dec. 8, 19u. Brian Black (University of Lancaster): After Dharma: Dialogue and Pluralism in the Mahābhārata

Dec. 15, 19u. Michael Willis (Royal Asiatic Society, London): From Warrior Saints to Epicurean Kings: Entangled Worlds in the Heart of India

With best wishes,

Eva De Clercq
Ghent University