[INDOLOGY] Age of gayatri mantra in śrīsūktam

Dominik Haas dominik at haas.asia
Tue Oct 19 08:51:27 UTC 2021

Dear Harry,

no, the fact that this mantra is part of the post-Vedic Śrīsūkta does
not indicate that it's older than the others.

The late age of these mantras in general has been noted by several
scholars, from Leopold von Schroeder in 1900 to Peter C. Bisschop in
2018. It is impossible to infer the date of their composition on the
basis of their Vedic “source” texts. In a paper I gave at the DICSEP
last year, I argued that the modified or adapted Gāyatrīs probably did
not come into being before the 2nd century CE at the very earliest. You
can find an early draft of my talk and further references here:

https://www.academia.edu/43771517/_G%C4%81yatr%C4%AB_as_a_Name_of_%E1%B9%9AV_III_62_10
<https://www.academia.edu/43771517/_G%C4%81yatr%C4%AB_as_a_Name_of_%E1%B9%9AV_III_62_10>

Best regards,

Dominik

__________________
*Dominik A. Haas, BA MA*
DOC Fellow, Austrian Academy of Sciences | PhD Student, University of
Vienna
dominik at haas.asia <mailto:dominik at haas.asia> | ORCID 0000-0002-8505-6112
<https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8505-6112> | academia.edu/DominikAHaas
<https://www.academia.edu/keypass/ZW5ZRXhKRStPR21EbjZXN2sycGJ3UTJBa3RXRmdzMS8xcUNsZ05BNFM1ST0tLVNHeXJFaks5aVNNTEpRb21BYkVKOFE9PQ==--e24213c0e3c20341d456d6e3cac8b41f86179746/t/QmyD-NHD76Sz-yeiD0/followings/follow?followee_id=8049457&s=following_you_bundled_email>
| @dominik_a_haas
<https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=dominik_a_haas>
ÖGRW <https://www.univie.ac.at/oegrw/> | DMG
<https://dmg-web.de/page/home_en> | SDN
<https://stb.univie.ac.at/publikationsreihen/sammlung-de-nobili-sdn/>

<https://www.oeaw.ac.at/ikga/>
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia, Austrian
Academy of Sciences
Hollandstraße 11–13, 1020 Vienna, Austria
oeaw.ac.at/ikga <https://oeaw.ac.at/ikga>

The Initiative for Fair Open Access Publishing in South Asian Studies
foasas.org <https://foasas.org> | contact at foasas.org
<mailto:contact at foasas.org> | tweet #FOASAS
<http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=%20%23FOASAS>