[INDOLOGY] Question about the Indian grammatical tradition's impact on Western philology and linguistics

Oleg Bendz oleg.bendz at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 07:06:42 UTC 2021

 2021-10-14Dear All:
The impact of Indian grammatical tradition is already nicely outlined in Burrow, MacDonell, Renou, and others.But for the social and educational impact of indology on European thought, one might find this work rather interesting:

Rabault-Feuerhahn, Pascale.  L'archive des origines:  sanskrit, philologie, anthropologie dans l'Allemagne du 19eme siècle.  Les Éditions du Cerf, Paris, 2008.
The author nicely details the integration and effects of indology on European (and German) thought and education throughout periods of the 19th century.  I found the description of the academic conflicts with the classicists (Latin and Greek) informative and surprising.
Thank you.Oleg Bendz