[INDOLOGY] Jerry Losty

Robert Goldman rpg at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 4 18:34:51 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Just noted with sadness  the obituary for the noted historian of Indian art, Jerry Losty, the long time curator of Indian visual materials at he BL. Jerry and I were graduate students together in Pune (then Poona) in the late ‘60s and became friends. He was  very scholarly and  real resource on Indian art and always very generous to his colleagues. In more recent times the was of great help to us in securing  permission from the BL to reproduce  seven slides from the Mewar Rāmāyaṇa to use respectively as the cover art and frontispieces of our Princeton University Press translation of Vālmīki.

His passing represents a loss to the world of Indian Art History as well as to his family and friends.

He will be missed.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/art-historian-jerry-losty-passes-away-in-london/cid/1833173 <https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/art-historian-jerry-losty-passes-away-in-london/cid/1833173>

Bob Goldman
Dr. R. P.  Goldman
William and Catherine Magistretti Distinguished Professor Emeritus and
Professor in the Graduate School
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
The University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
Tel: 510-642-4089
Fax: 510-642-2409